Once again, the PlayStation 4 is the number one selling console in the US. NPD data for November 2014 arrived today, and Sony confirmed the position of its console via Twitter.
In a press release, the NPD Group’s Liam Callahan writes that “Overall sales across hardware, new physical software, and accessories were essentially flat in October 2014 compared to October 2013.” Continued strong performance on the console and accessory front offset the lower sales of software last month.
The Xbox One and PS4 have both been out for a year now, and the consoles are already performing better than the PS3 and Xbox 360 when compared to the same timeframe. “These consoles have had a great start,” writes Callahan, “as cumulative sales are currently over 70 percent higher than the combined first year totals of Xbox 360 and PS3.”
Here are the top 10 games in physical hardware sales from the NPD:
- NBA 2K15 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3, PC)
- Super Smash Bros. (3DS)
- The Evil Within (PS4, XBO, PS3, 360, PC)
- Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (360, PS3, PC)
- Destiny (360, XBO, PS4, PS3)
- Skylanders Trap Team (360, Wii, NWU, PS3, XBO, PS4, 3DS, MOB)
- FIFA 15 (PS4, 360, PS3, XBO, Wii, PSV, 3DS)
- Madden NFL 15 (360, PS4, PS3, XBO)
- Middle Earth: Shadow Of Mordor (PS4, XBO, PC)
- Minecraft (360, PS3, PS4)
Callahan also notes that Sunset Overdrive was number nine in the sales charts “when sorting on SKU rather than by title.” Also, The Evil Within from horror director Shinji Mikami was “the highest-selling first month of sales for new IP in the Survival Horror genre.”
While there aren’t many surprises from October, expect things in November to be a lot more competitive. Microsoft had a $50 price drop, and the company has already announced that, for the past two weeks, they’ve outsold the PS4 in the US.
The new trick up Assassin’s Creed Unity‘s sleeve is the Phantom Blade – a new signature weapon that fires out the knife bit using a crossbow mechanism. Now, someone’s built it for real.
At least you can take some comfort in the fact that Man At Arms: Reforged are professional makers of potentially lethal toys, not just some chancers with a workshop and a worryingly vivid imagination.
Still, perhaps more terrifying than this existing is the fact that it was built by taking the plastic toy version and casting it in metal. Wow.
You might have seen the mind blowing commercials for Destiny, the upcoming sci-fi shooter that will be out for multiple platforms next week. You may have also noticed that all of these commercials are aimed at the Playstation market. This is because Activision and Sony are getting all buddy-buddy on the marketing campaign, with the folks behind Destiny offering all sorts of “exclusive” content for PlayStation owners.
So what was Microsoft’s response? This cheeky series of advertisements, first posted on the Xbox UK Twitterand Facebook accounts, that claims they’re making a Destiny-themed fragrance. Obviously, they’re not. The website ( http://www.destinyfragrance.com), which is linked in UK magazine ads, just takes you to a British pre-order page for the game on Xbox.
But what’s interesting here is that dig at Activision. “Thing is, we didn’t have permission to run adverts for the game. So we didn’t.” Strange, right? Assuming this is true—and why would they write something like that if it wasn’t?—it’s amusing to see a company like Microsoft calling Activision out for partnering with Sony on what’s surely going to be a huge game all around. Its a very rare thing to see companies actually saying whats on there mind and lashing towards each other.
Destiny comes out on Tuesday, and unfortunately The Destiny Fragrance does not.
The massive open world construction game, Minecraft, could be coming to the playstation store.
The lead designer of Minecraft Pocket Edition, Jens Bergensten, told iGamer “Microsoft has an exclusivity deal for consoles. When it runs out we’ll consider Minecraft for PlayStation, but Wii U is very unlikely.”
Minecraft has already sold 20 million copies across all its currently available on, With apparently 5 million of those sales on xbox 360 alone, When it was released last May, Minecraft broke the Xbox Live Arcade sale record.
Thief has been announced by Eidos Montreal.
The reboot of the classic stealth series has been revealed in the latest issue of US magazine Game Informer.
It will see the return of series lead Garrett as he explores a steampunk metropolis known as the City, a place ruled by a tyrant named the Baron.
Eidos Montreal was the team behind the critically-acclaimed Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
Thief will be available on PS4, PC and other next generation platforms, suggesting a release on the new Xbox.
“We’re handling a precious gemstone with Thief,” said Eidos Montreal general manager Stephane D’Astous.
“Fans remember the original games very fondly and we want to preserve that essence – which we have excellent experience of doing at Eidos-Montreal – whilst also introducing Thief to a brand new, next-generation, audience.
“Our goal is to deliver the fantasy of being Garrett, THE master thief, and we’re building this game around that core experience.”
The reboot of Thief as unveiled by Game Informer. Thief 4 was informally announced by Eidos in early 2009, saying it would “break new ground” with the franchise. It was then rumoured to be shown at the Game Developer Conference in 2011.
The franchise debuted in 1998 on PC with Thief: The Dark Project. Latest title Thief: Deadly Shadows saw a release on the original Xbox and PC in 2004.
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has received a new version update on Steam.
Version 1.9 adds the new Legendary difficulty setting, while also removing the level cap by introducing legendary skills.When a skill reaches level 100, players will now have the option to make it a legendary skill. Doing so resets the skill to level 15 and return its perks, allowing users to level up the skill again.
There is also a wide range of bug fixes in version 1.9, including a number of quest-specific fixes, a reduction of random dragon encounters after the main quest and a “fixed rare instance of couriers who would appear only dressed in a hat”.
The update is currently in beta on Steam, so users can go into the game’s properties through their Steam client in order to opt in for beta updates.
Bethesda says that it plans to release the version 1.9 update on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 later this monthFind a full list of the version 1.9 bug fixes below:
- General memory and stability improvements
- Fixed issue with quest scripts that were not shutting down properly
- Companions will equip better weapons and armour if given to them
- Fixed rare issue where player is unable to learn the Clear Skies shout during “The Throat of the World”
- Fixed rare instance where Alduin would become invincible during ‘Alduin’s Bane’
- Fixed a rare issue where player could become stuck in Night Mother’s coffin during ‘Death Incarnate’
- Fixed rare issue where protected companions could be killed from poison damage
- Fixed rare issue with certain ash piles left from resurrected NPCs not clearing properly
- Fixed rare issue with NPCs and creatures respawning improperly after player fast travels
- Fixed rare crash when entering Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary
- Fixed rare crash when entering a player owned home
- Random dragon attacks will no longer occur during ‘Battle for Whiterun’
- Fixed a rare crash when attempting to save your game during ‘Waking Nightmare’
- Fixed issue where ‘Glory of the Undead’ would not start properly if player is in combat with Eorlund Gray-Mane
- The white phial is no longer consumed if given to a follower
- If player marries Aela, the ‘Totem of Hircine’ quest will be available
- Unused briar hearts can be dropped after finishing ‘The White Phial’
- Fixed issue with paying off a crime against the Companions that prevented player from getting Companions quests properly
- Thieves Guild caches are now properly enabled in the appropriate cities
- The Dragon Infusion perk now works properly when taking Esbern’s Potion
- Cragslane Cave properly resets if player receives a radiant quest to clear it out
- Fixed rare issue with bounty quest objectives not properly clearing after completion
- Gallus’s Encoded Journal is no longer a quest item after completing the Thieves Guild
- In ‘No Stone Unturned’ Vex will now accept Unusual Gems if you’ve collected them all before starting the quest
- Vekel the Man now gives rewards for completing ‘Toying with The Dead’
- Fixed rare issue with being unable to turn in stolen items in ‘The Litany of Larceny’
- Fixed issue with followers becoming over-encumbered after being repeatedly rehired
- Fixed rare issue with visiting Kynesgrove on horseback not progressing ‘A Blade in the Dark’ properly
- Fixed issue with receiving a duplicate radiant quest from a Jarl
- Fixed conflict with clearing Driftshade Sanctuary before starting ‘Trouble in Skyrim’
- Fixed issue with using shouts while in jail and having guards unlock the jail cell
- Fixed rare issue with quest NPCs not properly moving to quest locations
- Fixed issue with NPCs not selling master level spells
- Fixed rare issue where player gets control locked outside the Thalmor Embassy at the start of ‘Diplomatic Immunity’
- Fixed rare issue with disappearing containers after upgrades in player owned house
- Fixed issue with being erroneously attacked while as a werewolf during ‘Ill Met By Moonlight’
- The Ebony Blade is now only improved by two handed perks
- Locked door to Proudspire Manor can now be unlocked by proper key
- Fixed issue with merchants not receiving the proper additional gold with the Investor perk
- Fixed a rare issue where the player would be unable to learn a word after leaving for several days during ‘The Way of The Voice’
- The Nord Hero Bow can now be improved
- The Purity perk no longer requires the Experimenter perk
- Fixed rare instance where Lovers Comfort would not be applied properly
- If you approach Frostmere Crypt from the north, ‘The Pale Lady’ will start properly
- Fixed rare issue where player could be prevented from speaking with Atub to start ‘The Cursed Tribe’
- Fixed rare issue where a dragon could appear in the Mind of a Madman realm and kill the player
- Fixed instance where player could get stuck in Japhet’s Folly
- Fixed rare instances where Arngeir would not teach Worldwind Sprint
- Fixed issue with ‘Ill Met By Moonlight’ if Sinding dies before the quest starts
- Gharol can now properly train up to level 75
- Fixed conflict with visiting The Karthspire before starting ‘Alduin’s Wall’
- Reduced the instance of random dragon attacks after fast travelling post main quest
- Recruited Blades now have appropriate dialogue while at Sky Haven Temple
- Fixed rare issue where an incorrect dungeon could appear as a location during ‘Totems of Hircine’
- Fixed rare instance in ‘Fetch Me That Book’ where books found before getting the quest would not be properly recognised
- Fixed rare issue with travelling to Thalmor Embassy with companions during ‘Diplomatic Immunity’
- Fixed issues with Matching Set perk not working properly with certain pieces of armour
- Fixed issues with Custom Fit perk not working properly with certain pieces of armour
- Fixed issue with NPC dying in a bear trap blocking progress in ‘Time Of My Need’
- Fixed rare issue with swinging door becoming stuck and blocking an entrance in Volunruud
- Imperial Light Armour can now be crafted
- Fixed issue with ‘Vald’s Debt’ where Vald was not leveled properly
- Fixed issue with Vilkas not giving proper greeting after completing ‘Battle for Whiterun’
- Fixed issue with respawning actors that were raised by using the Ritual Stone power
- Fixed issue with the Ancient Knowledge perk not calculating properly
- The Palace of Kings now has patrolling guards on upper floors
- Reduce percentage chance of getting a werewolf loading screen while player is a werewolf
- Pantea’s flute is no longer a quest item after completing ‘Pantea’s Flute’
- Placing an unread Oghma Infinium on a bookshelf in the player’s house no longer allows the book to be reused again
- Adjusted dialogue priority to improve chances of hearing more combat dialogue from certain NPC enemies
- Fixed issue with falling damage on high difficulty levels
- Fixed bad collision on certain clutter objects
- Fixed rare instance of couriers who would appear only dressed in a hat
Crysis 3 will look just as good as the first wave of games for the PlayStation 4 and next Xbox, according to Crytek head Cevat Yerli.
The studio executive believes the game’s development team could not have developed anything technologically superior on current generation hardware.
“Crytek’s projects generally will be way above what we’ve achieved on the existing consoles,” he told CVG
.”I actually think people will be astonished that next-gen launch titles from other companies might not be much different from Crysis 3
He added: “It’s a world that hasn’t been done before, that kind of depiction, the quality and level of immersion. I think no game has ever done that kind of setting, it’s a visual spectacle.”